Throughout the world, casino gaming has increased in popularity over the last decade. In Canada, the country is generally supportive of casino gaming as an acceptable form of entertainment for its citizens. It should be noted that the laws concerning casino gambling vary from one province to another and one territory to another. Based on regional government regulations, Canada has over 100 licensed land-based casinos spread over 7 of the country’s 10 provinces or territories. While most of the casinos are maintained on Native Indian Reserves, the country has its fair share of really nice casinos.
While Canada certainly has plenty of smaller local casinos, there is a growing list of Vegas style casinos that offers a full range of casinos games, lodging facilities, restaurants, gift shops and A-List entertainment. Some of the top casinos include:
1. Caesars Windsor in Windsor, Ontario – This casino is owned by the government and operated under the highly popular Caesars brand. The facility was built in 1994 and has over 750 rooms, 100,000 sq. ft. of gaming space, multiple bars and restaurants, a shopping facility and a 5,000 entertainment forum. Games of chance include slots, table games (blackjack, roulette, baccarat, etc), a poker room and a sports and race book.
2. Casino Niagara – Niagara Falls, Ontario Overlooking the historic spectacle of the Niagara Waterfalls, this casino was opened in 1996. It is owned by the Crown agency, Ontario Lottery and Gaming. With 95,000 sq. ft. of gaming space, the casino only facility offers approximately 1,500 slot machines, 40 table games, a sports and race book and a poker room. It also has a nice selection of restaurants, bars and gift shops.
3. River Rock Casino Resort in Richmond, British Columbia – As the largest casino in the province, this facility comes with almost 400 rooms and a 70,000 sq. ft. gaming area. The casino, which was opened in 2006, offers 900 slots, table games and a poker room. They also have the River Rock Show Theatre for live entertainment, a spa, restaurants and an off-track betting facility.
4. Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario – The casino was open in 1996 and is located on the Chippewas Indian Reserve, and owned by First Nation. It features one of the country’s largest gaming areas at 192,000 sq. ft.. The facility provides 2,500 slots, 110 table games, 10-12 bars and restaurants and a 5,000 seat concert complex. It also has a 289 room attached hotel facility.
5. Casino de Montreal – Quebec – As one of the largest casinos in the world, the casino comes with gaming space on 5 different floors. It provides over 3,200 slots, 115 table games, a race and sports book and a 18-table poker room. It also comes with four restaurants and a cabaret room for live entertainment.